Did negligent security contribute to this Decatur gas station shooting and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
A man was shot at a Decatur, Georgia gas station Tuesday evening, Jan 10, 2022.
As reported by Fox5Atlanta.com, the shooting happened “in the parking lot of a gas station and strip mall along Snapfinger Woods Drive on Tuesday evening.”
11Alive.com is reporting, “[w]hen officers arrived, they found the teen dead with multiple gunshot wounds. His family identified him as Akhir Muhammad.”
According to the report, “[i]nitial information is the victim had just walked out of the gas station when he was shot.”
The investigation is ongoing.
OUR LEGAL TAKE
Gas Station and convenience store patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the motel is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Prior incidents on or near property may establish that a property owner or manager may have been aware of a potential danger.
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- Suspicious activity in the moments before a shooting may identify an imminent danger to individuals on a property.
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- The presence of security personnel may prove effective in deterring a shooting.
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- Measures taken by a property owner or manager subsequent to a shooting can provide relevant information.
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- A calibrated security protocol is a useful measure to protect those legally on a premises.
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
- The presence of law enforcement at property prior to a shooting may indicate that a property owner or manager was aware of potential dangers on the premisses.
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its guests and visitors, the family of Akhir Muhammad may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Akhir Muhammad retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $100 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $100 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including a $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property. We offer our legal assistance, if desired.
We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 404-842-1600. Consultations are free and confidential.