Could the shooting at a Norcross strip mall have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family and injured victim? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire rang out at a Norcross strip mall Friday evening, April 28, 2023, leaving one man dead and one other injured.
As reported by AtlantaNewsFirst.com, “officers responded to a ‘person shot call’ at the 1300 block of Indian Trail Road.”
According to the report, “[t]he second victim suffered a non-life-threatening injury and was transported to a local hospital for treatment.”
The investigation is ongoing.
Is Justice Available? Our Legal Take
Shopping center patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the shopping center is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- What security measures were in place to deter crime and protect the victim at the time of the incident?
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on the property, and were any security measures added after any prior incidents?
- Was the property aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the incident?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the incident?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the family of Jerrett Mitchell may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Jerrett Mitchell retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 404-842-1600. Consultations are free and confidential.
How to Choose and Hire the Right Attorney (Click Here)